Critical Review of Video on Jup Banee 7 You Tube channel of sikhivicharforum.com
Review of Jup Banee by Dr KSD – Part 7
- Preamble of Jup Banee
- ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
- Ek Oaangkar Sat Naam Karta Purakh Nirbhau Nirvair Akaal Moorat Ajooni Saibhung Gur Parsaad.
- The One Omnipresent God who is in Existence, who is the Creator Being, Fearless and without Enmity, Timeless and Formless, Does Not take Life Forms, and who is Self-
Created, is Realized through the Blessings and Grace (Enlightenment) of the Shabad Guru.
- The Preamble is the core of all Gurbani as it describes THE
GOD that is mentioned throughout the SGGS ji.
- The words Jup ਜਪੁ / ਜਪਿ
- ਜਪੁ (with an aunkar) and ਜਪਿ (with a sihari) have similar pronunciation but different meanings as per Gurbani grammar rules.
- Jup (u) with aunkar is a noun (nav)
- Jup (i) with a sihari is a verb (kiriya)
- (SGGS 12)
ਜਪੁ ਤਪੁ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਨ ਕਮਾਇਆ ॥ ਸੇਵਾ ਸਾਧ ਨ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਇਆ ॥
Jup(u) Tuo Sanjam Dhram Na Kamayea.
Sewa Sadh Na Janeya Har Raiya.
I have yet to realise that the path to God requires me to
abandon vices and cultivate virtues.
- (SGGS 192)
ਜਪਿ ਮਨ ਮੇਰੇ ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ॥
Jup (i) Mun Merey Govind Kee Banee.
My mind, come to realisation of God via reflecting on His Bani. (therefore ‘recite’is an incorrect interpretation)
- Meaning of ਜਪੁ Jup (u)
- Outside of Gurbani (vedas, upanashids, jogis etc) Jup means to chant.
- Sikh Gurus redefined existing concepts by the language of the masses but gave uniqueness through new interpretation.
- Jup in Gurbani means
- Banee titled Jup (u) where Jup is a noun, hence it cannot mean to chant.
- Jup (u) Banee is defined in 2 Saloks, 38 Pauris, 2600 words on 7 pages.
- Banee is a Process for REALIZING THE CREATOR:
Listening, Knowing, Believing, Accepting, Internalising, Walking & Living.
- Jup (u) is the Name of this Process of realization of the virtues of GOD. Literally the word pauri means a ladder for climbing up – hence this process will elevate your mind step by step from listening, knowing etc. An elevated mind is a God realized/connected mind – opposite of a self-connected mind).
- In Gurbani listening means to understand the actual message, the meaning behind the words by the mind and not just hear with the ears. The message of the gurus must be internalised.
- Formation of ਜਪੁ Jup Banee
- ਆਦਿ ਸਚੁ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਸਚੁ ॥ ਹੈ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੋਸੀ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ॥੧॥
Aad Sach Jugaad Sach. Hai Bhee Sach Nanak Hosee Bhee Sach.
— Aad (sihari) : Point of Conception (beginning)
— Sach : Akaal Purakh, Creator
— Jugaad : Following Aad, following conception
— Hai Bhee : Here and now
— Hosee : Throughout existence
- Incorrect translation as in books:
True in the primal beginning. True throughout the ages. True here and now. O Nanak, forever and ever true.
- Critique :
1. True as translation for Sach : Sach is God/Creator.
2. Concept of Time (Beginning, throughout the ages, here and now, forever, etc) are man-made concepts. Cannot be applied to the Creator.
3. These concepts are applicable for the Human Form whereas the Creator is Formless.
- Questions arising from above translation :
Whose Here? Whose Now?
Whose Forever? Whose Ever?
- Answers : Those for whom Jup Banee is written! Who are they? It is for YOU AND ME. It is Our Beginning. Our Ages. Our Here. Our Now. Our Forever. Our Ever.
- Correct translation hence is :
The Creator is within me from my Aad (conception). He is within me SINCE Conception and following Conception. He is within me here and now.
Nanak, He is within me throughout my existence.
- Understanding Gurbani means attempting to get the original intent
- Not just accepting but applying critical thinking
- Human life (ME) is like a cup of water that is ultimately going back to its source, the sea…….. down from the mountains and the rain, consumed and discharged from the human body, from plants and animals down rivers and underground streams ……it will finally merge with the ocean from where it originates.
- This Pauree after the preamble in Jup Banee is meant to enlighten us that the ONE CREATOR is within His Creation and that it is His Creation that has a beginning and an ending while The Creator Himself is Independent.
- The REALIZATION about the ENTITY within Me will continue in the remaining Paurees of Jup Banee.